PRE-SUBMISSION ENGAGEMENT FOR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE SCREENINGS
A better way forward for Executive Committee screenings
The Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Board (YESAB) has developed a new Pre-submission Engagement (PSE) process for Executive Committee screenings. PSE is a proactive, front-end process that occurs before a project proposal is submitted for screening by the Executive Committee (EC). The purpose of pre-submission engagement is to bring interested and affected parties together to review project requirements well in advance of a detailed proposal being submitted for assessment. This helps identify gaps and issues of concern, to define values and baseline information requirements and ensure a timely and certain screening process.
Supporting Documents and Information
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will the process be time bound? Yes. Timelines will be established under the PSE process but on a project-by-project basis.
- How will the PSE Process be administered? The Executive Committee will administer the PSE process (e.g. timelines, roles and responsibilities) on a project-specific basis. The EC will establish and document key elements of the process informed by the input of participants and operational requirement
- When will the new process come into effect? YESAB estimates that the new PSE process will come into effect in late Fall 2019, after the review of Executive Committee Rules is completed. The process will apply only to projects submitted after the Executive Committee Rules come into effect.
- Is the PSE Process accessible to the public? Yes. The PSE process will be publicly accessible. Documents will be accessible via YESAB’s On-Line Registry (YOR) and opportunities to provide focused input on the project description and information required for the screening will be established. The public will continue to have opportunities to provide comments in later stages of the screening process.
- Why has the PSE process been developed? The process has been developed in response to requests for better project-specific guidance on project proposals and to meet expectations for earlier public involvement in the Executive Committee screening process.
- Will PSE apply to all projects? Yes. Pre-submission engagement will be required in all sectors and for all projects that require an Executive Committee (EC) screening. However, the process will be tailored to meet individual project circumstances. This will enable process certainty and predictability while allowing the flexibility to accommodate specific project requirements. The PSE process will not apply to Designated Office Evaluations.
- Will the Executive Committee Rules be changed? Yes. The PSE process will impact the current screening process as set out in the Rules for Screenings Conducted by the Executive Committee. The Rules will be revised to support the implementation of the PSE process.
- Will the new process make the screening process longer? No. Time spent in the new PSE process will offset the time currently spent addressing information requests. More precise, targeted and assessment-relevant information in project proposals will mean more informed screenings and will reduce and/or eliminate the need to for assessors to request supplemental information.
Contact us for more information
Suite 200, 309 Strickland St.
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2J9